Friday, February 6, 2009

Will the spending ever end?

As I was driving to work listening to the news this morning, they mention that Republican senators are questioning the $900 billion spending bill when we have huge deficits. Then they broadcast for all to hear a quote from Pres. Obama, saying “There was a deficit when I got here.” Is that his reasoning for spending more, because we are already so far in debt that we will never pay it off, so let’s spend more? I wish I could run my household like that! I would buy a palace, buy that expensive convertible I want, take the trip of my dreams and all the while not even batting an eye at the cost, knowing someone else will pay it off. Talk about change!

I read today that if someone spent $1 million a day since Jesus was born, he would still have over $200 billion to go to get to $1 trillion spent. Can you imagine that? I remember when the government started saying billion and thinking that was an unfathomable number. Now it is a-trillion-here-a-trillion-there-ho-hum-when’s-lunch? We have been so desensitized to the amount of money, that we say “Tax the evil rich” to get what we want. If every “rich” person gave every penny of income to Uncle Sam, would there be enough for this “stimulus” package? I hope the Republican senators are as smart as the House members, and all vote no. Let the Democrats holler partisanship all they want. I hear Obama saying the Republicans need to get on board. That’s bi-partisanship? It is inviting unwilling crew members to board a doomed ship that is already up to its deck in water.

No comments: