Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lest we forget.

May we never forget what happened eight years ago, 9/11/2001.


In September, 1983, I took my lovely bride to New York to meet my relatives (grandparents, uncle, aunt and cousins). We went up the World Trade Center, even though she was afraid of heights. I convinced her to go up to the observation deck on the roof. It was very windy up there, but the view was wonderful. I asked a ranger how high we were. He said 1365 ft. above sea level, or 1354 off the ground.   I was awed by the smallness of everything below, even the Empire State building just a mile or two away.  We could not look straight down from the roof, as the deck was some 30 feet or so from the edge.  But the 106th floor had a museum of commerce with indoor observation windows.  One could sit on a bench and look almost straight down from there.  Other than being on a mountain top or the rim of the Grand Canyon, I have never been on land and seen such a view.   As seen from there, the people were smaller than ants.  The cars on the streets below were miniature toys. 


Too bad I cannot take my children there. We went to New York City in 1990 with them, but did not have time to go up the towers. I wish now we had, because the next time we went was in March, 2002. All that was left was the hole in the ground and a lot of rubble.

No comments: