Thursday, November 15, 2007

A season of Death?

Death. This season of the year reminds me of death, with all the trees losing their leaves in such a splendid blaze of color. The grass gets yellow or brown, flowers wither in the cold, everything slowly becomes grey. Why? Because that is the way God made the world. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. Symbolic of the cycle of life, in many ways.

It has been on my mind a lot recently. We are all in the process of dying.

November is also the month in which my mother died when I was only seven. I still think of her this time of year, as I did not know she was going to die until it happened. I never really knew her that well, or at least I don’t remember much about her.

Last Spring we said goodbye to my father-in-law. In life he did not like us to say goodbye, since it sounded so final, but alas, it was his time.

To those who have recently (or not so recently) said your final goodbye to someone whom you loved in life, remember what Solomon said:

It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart. (Ecclesiastes 7:2)


May the God who gives peace to His children, fill you with peace today.

Addendum (17 Nov 2007): Last night I witnessed a fatal accident on the way home form work. I hope I never have to see such again. How do EMTs do their gruesome work without God?

No comments: