Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Living on “less”

While driving home, I was listening to “All Things Considered” on NPR (I know that makes me a closet Liberal). There was an interview with an actress who plays on TV shows as a guest star or secondary character. The gist was that even those actors are feeling the economic pinch, as fewer opportunities are arising, due somewhat to the trend toward “reality” shows (supposedly unscripted). She said her salary has dropped from around $500,000 to about $70,000 a year. I agree that this is a serious pay cut, but then she complained that she could not live on $70,000. What? That is a lot more than I have ever made! I guess living in LA-la land (Los Angeles, CA) is expensive, but not able to live on twice the salary of a starting teacher? This is evidence that we are a nation which values entertainment over necessities. (See “Bread and Circuses” below.)

No comments: